Before performing a firmware upgrade ensure that you have got a backup of the configuration on the device.
The USB slot in SRX series can be used to copy from/to USB storage to internal flash memory when upgrading or troubleshooting.
- SRX100 : 1 slot
- SRX210/240 : 2 slots
- SRX650 : 2 slot on SRE
- SRX3400/3600 : 2 slots on SFB and 2 slots on each RE
- SRX5600/5800 : 2 slots on each RE
In order to copy JUNOS software installation package (e.g., junos-srxxxx-xxx.tgz) from the USB storage to internal flash memory, follow the steps below:
- Backup the configuration.
- Insert a USB flash drive into your PC.
- Copy the JUNOS install package (e.g. “junos-srxxxxx-xxx.tgz”) from the PC to the USB stick. The USB flash drive must be formatted in FAT16 or FAT32.
- Insert the USB flash drive into one of the USB slots in the SRX.
- Logon to the SRX and run the following command to become the “root” user on the device. You will need to enter the root password for the device.
user@hostname> start shell user root
- Mount the USB flash drive.
root@hostname% mkdir /var/tmp/usb
root@hostname% mount -t msdos /dev/da[N]s1 /var/tmp/usb
Note: Any directory name can be used as a mount point.
[N] = most of the time is 1.
- Verify the contents of the USB flash drive.
root@hostname% cd /var/tmp/usb
- Copy the the file from the USB flash drive to the internal storage.
root@hostname% cp /var/tmp/usr/junos-srxxxx-xxx.tgz /root/.
- Perform the software upgrade.
root@hostname% request system software add no-copy unlink /root/junos-srxxxx-xxx.tgz
Note: It is possible to perform the upgrade directly from the USB flash drive.
- Swap to the secondary node, then repeat steps 4 – 9 on this node.
root@hostname% request routing-engine login node 1
- Once the upgrade is complete on all nodes reboot all the nodes simultaneously.
user@hostname% request system reboot
- Once the system is back on-line the firmware upgrade is complete.